Whatever the figures bandied about, it is indisputable that the development will result in a major increase in traffic in and around the city which will result in significantly elevated levels of airborne pollution. Young children and the elderly as well as asthma sufferers and those with cardio-vascular problems are particularly at increased risk.
Despite admitting that the development would have resulted in a deterioration of air quality, Centros and council officers downplayed the results at the public inquiry and relied on a flawed air quality assessment, that was exposed by It's Our City at the public inquiry in 2009. It was also remarkable that the local Environment Agency made no comment on air quality in their official consultation response and we believe that the Environment Agency's independent status has been seriously undermined by local politics and their relationship with Lancaster Council's Environmental Health Services.
|30 May 2007||Green Party Press Release on Air Quality||Lancaster and District Green Party Press Release of 7th August 2006.|
|26 October 2008||Unofficial Air Quality Report Reveals the Truth||Unofficial report by a scientist working for the Environment Agency.|
Public Health Links
- Traffic exposure disrupts teen lung development - 26th Jan 2007 - New Scientist article.
- UK Government Air Quality Strategy - The government Air Quality Strategy is a requirement of the EU Air Quality Framework Directive and describes the plans drawn up by the government and the devolved administrations to improve and protect ambient air quality in the UK in the medium-term. Their proposals aim to protect people’s health and the environment without imposing unacceptable economic or social costs and form an essential part of government strategy for sustainable development.
- Thematic Strategy on Air Pollution - This easy to digest 13 page Sept 2005 report is a 'Communication of the Commission of the European Communities to the Council and the European Parliament' - well worth a read to find out more about air pollution - 200KB (small!) pdf file.
- Exceedances of air quality objectives due to traffic (TERM 004) - Assessment published Jan 2011 - January 2011 European Environment Agency Report on traffic and air pollution in Europe.
- EU Commission Clean Air for Europe programme - You will find lots of facts, figures and reports on EU policy and directives relating to air pollution here.